Image from conrad-caldwell.org
From The Kentucky Encyclopedia -
Charles Julian Clarke was born in Franklin County , Kentucky, on December 16, 1836, the son of Joseph and Harriett (Julian) Clarke. He was Kentucky's fourth native architect, behind the Shryock brothers and John McMurtry . Clarke was educated in Kentucky. During the Civil War he worked in Louisville with Henry Whitestone and afterward with the Bradshaw brothers, eventually becoming a partner. After Whitestone's retirement in 1880, some considered Clarke Louisville's premier designer. In 1882 he became Kentucky's first architect to join the Western Association of Architects.
Arthur Loomis, a native of Massachusetts, entered the Clarke office in 1876 and became Clarke's chief draftsman in 1885. The 1890 Todd Office Building, designed principally by Loomis, was Louisville's tallest building at the time of its construction. In 1891 Clarke and Loomis established a partnership, which was one of the leading architectural firms in Louisville for the rest of the century. The Theophilus Conrad residence on St. James Court and the George A. Robinson residence are their best residential works; the 1893 Levy Brothers Store at Third and Market Streets is their most noted commercial structure. They also designed the Louisville Medical College of 1891 and the 1893 Manual Training School, both notable institutional buildings. Their Louisville churches include St. Paul's Evangelical, the German Reformed Evangelical, St. Matthew's, and the First Presbyterian at Fourth and York streets. Clark died on March 9, 1908, in Louisville and was buried in the Frankfort Cemetery.
WILLIAM B. SCOTT, JR., Entry Author