Image from www.holycross.edu
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -
John Peterman is a catalog and retail entrepreneur from Lexington, Kentucky, who operates The J. Peterman Company.
Education and baseball career
Peterman graduated from the College of the Holy Cross in 1963 and played third base on Holy Cross baseball teams that went to the College World Series in 1962 and 1963. He also played baseball for the Pittsburgh Pirates organization for three years as a second baseman.
The J. Peterman Company had sales of over $75 million at its peak. However, after opening several retail stores, it filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in January 1999, and the brand name was sold to the Paul Harris Company.
Later, when the Paul Harris Company went out of business, Peterman was able to purchase the rights to his own name as a brand, with funding help from John O'Hurley, the actor who portrayed a fictional version of J. Peterman on Seinfeld. With the help of a core group from the original company (creative director, William McCullam, marketing director Jonathan Dunavant, merchant Paula Collins and director of manufacturing Kyle Foster), the J. Peterman Company was relaunched.
John Peterman wrote a book about the company's trials, Seinfeld influence and more, called Peterman Rides Again.
- Peterman, John (2000). Peterman Rides Again. Paramus, N.J.: Prentice Hall Press. ISBN 0-7352-0199-4.
1. "John Peterman Minor League Statistics & History". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved 2013-12-02.
2. Jong, Mabel (2003-06-06). "J. Peterman catalogs his success: Yada, yada, yada". Bankrate.com. Retrieved 2013-12-02.
- The J Peterman Company
- Peterman's Eye - A daily brief for curious minds
- The Return of J. Peterman An article about a talk J. Peterman gave at his alma mater, The College of the Holy Cross
- video of actor John O'Hurley discussing influence of character J Peterman
Selected Sources from UK Libraries:
Peterman, John. Peterman Rides Again : Adventures Continue with the Real "J. Peterman" through Life & the Catalog Business. Paramus, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2000. Print.Special Collections Research Center Closed Stacks - Ask at desk on 2nd Floor for assistance (HD31 .P3838 2000 )
McCourt, Matthew J. Selling Subjects : Retail Practices of J. Peterman Co. Lexington, Ky.: [s.n.], 2000. Print.Young Library Theses 5th Floor Stacks (Theses 2000 ) and other locations
J. Peterman Co. Catalogues. 1990. Print.Special Collections Research Center Closed Stacks - Ask at desk on 2nd Floor for assistance